BRUSH and BRUSHLESS Motors.
Advantages of a Brushless Pen Motor:
1. Durability: The increased life expectancy means it is more durable.
2. Size: The size of the pen can be smaller because the motor is smaller than the Brushed Motor.
3. Lighter Weight: The lighter weight of the motor means less struggle.
4. Electronic: Brushless motors use electronic commutations rather than mechanical (brushes). The efficiency also increases optimal balance, quieter and smoother.
There is no
friction in a Brushless machine. The rotor and the stator Brushes cause heat
and loss of energy.
Brushed Motors have
one attractive advantage:
1. Maintenance: These motors are manufactured with carbon brushes. These can result in wear and tear of the brushes: maintenance cost can often increase.
2. Heating: As there is friction in this type of motor, overheating may be a problem decreasing power.
3. Battery: The battery efficiency is quite poor for these motors. The overall battery drain due to the overheating is a concern for Brush motors.
Motors cost more.